Tuesday 24 November 2009

Swine Flu Jag

I got a letter last week inviting me to attend my GP practice for a swine flu immunization. I have been receiving seasonal flu jags for a few years now because of my diabetes, and the swine flu inoculation offer followed on from that as I am in a risk category.

It was all an interesting experience. I found myself in a packed waiting room, and, as you do, began to eavesdrop a little. I was surprised at the general level of scepticism and fear in the room. People have become very suspicious, if not of science and medicine, certainly of the motives of the politicians and civil servants who set policy. Despite that 300 or so had turned up. I'm a bit more positive. I really don't want the flu, so I went for the jab with a glad heart.

I have to say I've felt pretty ill ever since - But I imagine that the strength of my reaction to the jag is indicative of my need for immunization. It's set off a lot of symptoms that could be either flu-like of ME. I'm tired, achy, can't concentrate,blah, blah, blah.

I'm glad I've had it though. It's still better than the real deal swine flu.

My advice for ME sufferers - get the jab, but clear your diary for 4 or 5 days afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment